Aural Candy Vox

Saturday, October 7, 2006

I Miss NYC

I'm so sick of being stuck in my current Hicksville location.

We get no international cultural events here, let alone any possibilities of J-Rock concerts. When the highlight of the year in this little town consists of only Dave Matthews Band and Justin Timberlake, it's just freaking sad (and hm, we got The Rolling Stones last year). In fact, this entire state is out of loop when it comes to diversity and international culture. The population's interests here are just so homogenous, it drives me nuts.

Such frustration inevitably leads me to lament about no longer living in New York City. I moved away 2 years ago, though I still consider myself a New Yorker. NYC is one of the most ass-kicking cities when it comes to diversity. The city offers so many resources and opportunities that cater to everyone's interests and tastes. I miss those afternoons of fun browsing in Chinatown with a green tea ice cream cone in hand (from the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory near Bowery, of course), those detours to Asahiya, Kinokuniya, and Book Off for regular dosage of Japanese entertainment (though such detours always guaranteed that I wouldn't find a seat on the train going back home), and heck, I even miss those street/subway performers you often find in busy districts and subway stations. (Speaking of which, I heard that the MTA got a new batch of shiny trains in for some of the subway lines. Awesomeness.)

In comparison, the town I currently live in has absolutely nothing. For Asian entertainment needs, I must rely on online shopping sites like YesAsia, but I can't do a thing about the lack of cultural events. I really need to move to some place bigger and more diverse in the next two years or so, or I'll die of jealousy whenever any major (and non-major) act from Asia decides to make an appearance in the US (in some city not anywhere close enough to my state to make a trip worth it). Since I've already lived in the East Coast and the Gulf Coast, I think I should give the West Coast a try. San Francisco and Los Angeles, I'm looking at you!

That brief stroll down memory lane gave me a craving for green tea and red bean ice cream. But god, there are no such things within a hundred miles. ;____;

No comments: