Aural Candy Vox

Saturday, November 4, 2006

Reconciliation with Rentrer en Soi

I think I've finally come to terms with the drastic musical style change Rentrer en Soi had undergone. Ever since hearing their latest album, RENTRER EN SOI, I had been so devastated by the 180 degree shift in their music that for a while, I pretended that album didn't exist.

I had greatly favored Rentrer en Soi because their music were primarily beautiful, melodic ballad-style songs with tender, sweet vocals. I had loved every single album releases up to 2006. Songs like セフィロト (Sephirot) had given me so much pleasure.

Then, Rentrer en Soi's second full-length album, titled simply RENTRER EN SOI, came along in 2006 and shattered any preconception I had of the band. Too many of the songs on the album are loud, harsh, and angry (ie: DEAD believe ME). Satsuki screamed so much that it completely unsettled me. In fact, his singing had changed. It reminded me of Kyo of Dir en grey's style many times. What the heck happened to the gentle, angelic Satsuki I had known? I was so disappointed with this change that I gave up the band for a while.

But, I couldn't abandon Rentrer en Soi for long. Recently, I decided to go back to the RENTRER EN SOI album and listen with an open mind this time. I promised myself that I wouldn't compare the album with the band's previous works and simply judge the songs by their own merits. Surprisingly, and maybe not too surprisingly, I found myself actually enjoying the tracks. I realized that, despite the drastic style shift, Rentrer en Soi's music remained top-notch. It wasn't the new music that I hated, but the change itself.

Now, I'm glad that I gave the band another chance and got over my prejudices. Rentrer en Soi's music has returned to my music player and is now happily spinning away.

No comments: