Aural Candy Vox

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Spare Our Wallets!

What is with indie labels producing so many different versions of the same release just to milk the merchandise for all its worth?

I'm one of those suckers who like to purchase the limited editions of releases because of the bonus material and that nice exclusive feeling. While I'm perfectly aware that I'm being taken advantage of, I still cannot help myself. "Here I am, please exploit me to your heart's content."

But, when the labels really start to capitalize on this (irrational) fan psychology by releasing TWO versions of the limited edition, I just can't take it anymore and must blow my fuse.

This blatant manipulation, this abominable abuse on fans' goodwill drives me up the wall. Why can't the labels simply package the bonus materials in one edition? We're not freaking ATM machines, with endless supply of money for you greedy corporate monsters. Isn't it enough that many of us are willing to purchase a limited edition out of our love for the artists? Why must you burden us with the decision to 1. buy only one version of the limited edition, 2. buy both versions of the limited edition, or 3. heaven forbid, buy all three versions.

Are you actually trying to encourage piracy? Because if I really want to retaliate, I can simply download all 3 versions online for free and leave you without any profit. But then, don't the artists end up being the innocent victims of your ill thought-out scheme? Do you really think this is a good long-term strategy for the company? Where is your conscience?

We fans are not stupid, despite what you may think. We're willing to make some allowances as long as your business practice isn't out of line. However, you have crossed the line, you have crossed it many times. I do not know how much tolerance the rest of the fan population possesses, but let me assure you, our patience is not limitless. We won't take this lying down forever.

Update: Now that I look at this entry 3 hours after I posted it, I think I got a bit carried away by my irritation. The words may have been harsh, but I'm glad that I got that off my chest. Oh well, call me melodramatic. :D

...

By the way, it has just been announced at the Budokan concert a day ago that SID will be releasing a 12-track (including the A sides of the 3 latest singles) album called "play" on November 8, 2006. It comes in 3 (THREE!) spanking versions. (news courtsey of mahiru_no_koe of SID LJ community)


Type A: CD, with photobook, @ 3800 yen
Type B: CD, with DVD, @ 3800 yen
Type C: CD, @ 3150 yen

Pre-order begins on September 10.

I bet you anything that they'll all come in different covers. I think I'll at the very least get Type B though. Plan to pre-order it ASAP. Argh.

No comments: