Aural Candy Vox

Monday, August 28, 2006

The Kagrra, Visual Evolution

I have a love-and-hate relationship with Kagrra,'s... hm, visual presentation. During the early period (2000-2003), the band was always seen in incredibly elaborate costumes, with massive amount of makeup, and tons of hair gel. What saddened me was, Isshi, the vocalist who was essentially the frontman of the band, always (pretty much without exception) looked GOD BLOODY AWFUL! He has a large frame, which means his body build is completely unsuitable for pulling off that delicate-Japanese-beauty-in-kimono effect. In fact, I think it's an abomination that so many had to put up with Isshi's "I'm a really manly looking woman. Oh wait, I'm actually a man who completely fails at looking like a woman." for so long. Everytime I look back at those early band photos, I can't help but wince at Isshi's ungainliness.

It was with great relief on my part when Kagrra, finally moved on from their visual kei days. Their image post-2003 is much more toned down and natural. I blessed my stars that Isshi's photos no longer assault my poor eyes. I think that Kagrra, has found their best looks. They belong in khakis, jeans, and T-shirts, not those awful kimono costumes.

No comments: