Aural Candy Vox

Saturday, August 12, 2006

PV Review: シド / 御手紙 (SID / Otegami)



The setting for this PV is a brothel! My god, scandalous! (Just kidding!)

First of all, let's talk about the music. This is the first time I've heard "Otegami" (the single comes out on the 16th) and I have to say, I'm impressed. The fusion of traditional Japanese melody and Western rock delivery successfully lends the song an aura of exoticism and it sounds even, shall we say... alluring? The music is sweet, coaxing, and seductive. Mao's caressing voice pleasures the ears and touches the inner heart. Definitely another of my SID favorites, I'm very pleased with "Otegami".

The video itself is almost perfect. The red-on-black color scheme and lighting are oh-so-gorgeous. The band members' wardrobe in this PV is tasteful and stylish (okay, maybe except for Mao's pants). [fangirling] Aki, especially, looks amazing. I nearly expired when he licked his finger near the end. Ahh, how you tempt me. [/fangirling]

What's not good in this video, however, is the courtesan (aka that girl with opaque eyes in the kimono). I don't in fact mind her presence, but when she sticks out her tongue, her eyes become mere slits. The image momentarily reminds me of a suicide victim who hanged herself. She'd look a lot more seductive if she'd just sit still and look delicate and NOT make her eyes into slits while sticking out her tongue and/or taking off her kimono.

Rating: Fantastic

No comments: